So good news, not only does sex feel good, research shows that it is also good for your mental health and physical well being too!!! Want to know more? Check out these 10 compelling reasons which researchers have discovered...
1. Orgasms can relieve pain : they release the hormone oxytocin which also functions as a powerful pain killer
2. It fights ageing : having sex 3 times per week can make you look four to seven years younger
3. Semen may have antidepressant properties : sperm is full of protein and is a powerful antioxidant which the vagina can absorb and has been shown to antagonise depressive symptoms!
4. Sex can strengthen your cardiac muscles : if you are regularly sexually active this will significantly reduce your risk of having a heart attack or stroke
5. Countering prostate cancer : frequent ejaculation (21 times or more per month) will reduce chance of developing prostate cancer by 30%
6. A Boost to your Immune System : studies showed people with more frequent sexual encounters showed higher levels of immunoglobin (1gA). 1gA is a protein which fights infections and plays a major role in the functioning of the immune system
7. Prevent future incontinence : Orgasms strengthen the pubococcygeus muscle (PC muscle) when it contracts. Strengthening this muscle not only can prevent bladder issues but increase the pleasure from an orgasm
8. Better Sleep : The endorphins released during sex promote a better night's sleep. Also sex has the side benefit of reducing stress, increasing intimacy with one's partner, reducing depressive symptoms which can also result in increased quality of life and quality of sleep!
9. It's good for overall happiness : studies show that the higher the frequency one is having sex directly correlates to the level of happiness they self-report. One study reported that people having sex at least two to three times per month were 33 per cent more likely to self-report higher levels of happiness compared to those people have no sexual encounters.
10. It can make you smarter : One university study showed that people who merely thought about sex had higher critical thinking skills than those that didn't! Another study concluded after ten years of research that there is a correlation between sexual activity (which release positive chemicals) and promotion of healthy brain cell growth. Neuroplacticity! Forget the crosswords, have more sex! :-P