Attitude of Gratitude - 10 reasons to be thankful
1. Feel Happier – Your thoughts control your feelings, not the other way around. Because of this, when you practice gratitude, you change your thoughts to those that are more positive which results naturally in an increase to your happiness.
2. Reduce Depression – While many types of depression aren’t going to be changed much with a gratitude journal, many can. If you have depression, do seek professional help but, in the meantime, start focusing your mind on what you have that you are grateful for. Even if it’s just that you managed to get through the day lying in bed.
3. Boost Resilience – Being able to be knocked down and get back up repeatedly is an important skill for life. It’s called resilience. The more positive you can be about setbacks and life, the more likely you are to be able to bounce back after adversity.
4. Improve Self Esteem – People who think positively are usually better at thinking positively about themselves too. If you have issues with self-image, try writing three things you love about yourself and what you accomplished each evening before bed.
5. Sleep Better – Negative thoughts and stress are not conducive to a good night’s sleep. A regular practice of gratitude (a form of mindfulness) is linked to better sleep quality.
6. Reduce Blood Pressure – Studies show that focusing on what you’re grateful for can help reduce your blood pressure. This means that something as simple as being grateful is affecting your health positively.
7. Experience Less Pain – Science says that if you can turn your thoughts to positive thoughts and find ways to be grateful, you will reduce the body pain that you feel due to illness or life.
8. Strengthen Immunity – When you can focus on eating right, sleeping well, and taking care of yourself due to feeling less depression, pain, and anxiety, you will also improve your health by making your immune system stronger.
9. Increases Lifespan – Obviously, if you’re healthier, you’re going to live longer. What a win. Just by being more grateful, you can add time to your life. What a reward!
10. Experience More Fulfilling Relationships – If you’re a happier person, you’ll be more fun to be around and elicit more trust from your friends and family. Furthermore, you’ll attract people with a similar positive outlook. Because of this, you’ll develop even stronger and better quality relationships.